Center of Best Memory Foam Mattress and Topper Reviews, Buying Guide, Ratings and Comparisons
Are you looking for the best memory foam mattress reviews?
If you are, MemoryFoamMattressGuide.org is the right place for you.
Here you will find unbiased reviews of memory foam mattress, toppers, pillows and the bed. We cover all the leading brands and models, providing detailed information about their features, advantages, disadvantages and real customer reviews.
Purchasing a memory foam mattress or topper can really alter your whole life, and you have to know about all the factors of each mattress or topper before you can make an informed decision.
We also publish regular posts, infographics and in-depth guides about choosing the top quality mattress and toppers, sleeping problems, back pain, bed frame etc. Going through this information will definitely help you to get the best memory foam mattress and topper in the market.
Looking for Memory Foam Mattress Topper Guide?
Check out the expert recommendations to find the best memory foam mattress topper. The unbiased reviews include all the necessary information for purchasing the best mattress topper. And if you want to learn more about the toppers, visit the memory foam mattress topper guide page.
- Dynasty Mattress
- Cool Airflow System, HD 100% Visco-Elastic, Anti-Allergy
- Dimensions: 80 x 60 x 10 inches
- 20 Year Warranty
- 390+ Customer reviews yet
- Discount Available
- Shipping: Free
- Signature Sleep
- Minimizes pressure on the body, eliminate motion disturbance, ILD 9, ideal firmness
- Dimensions: 80 x 60 x 12 inches
- 1 Year Warranty
- 4150+ Customer reviews yet
- Discount Available
- Shipping: Free
- Sleep Innovations
- Maximum therapeutic support, Superior pressure point relief
- Dimensions: 80 x 60 x 12 inches
- 20 Year Warranty
- 3200+ Customer reviews yet
- Discount Available
- Shipping: Free
- Sleep Master
- Two layers high-density foam, CertiPUR-US Certified for durability
- Dimensions: 75 x 38 x 6 inches
- 10 Year Warranty
- 3320+ Customer reviews yet
- Discount Available
- Shipping: Free
Ultimate Buying Guide That Will Help You To Choose The Best Memory Foam Mattress
Table of Contents
- Ultimate Memory Foam Mattress Buying Guide
- Memory Foam Mattress Density
- Three Additional Quality Markers to Explore
- Look at the Thickness of the Mattress
- Learning More About Memory Foam Mattress Sizes
- Exploring the Bedding Options for this Type of Mattress
- Looking at Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
- Ultimate Memory Foam Mattress Topper Guide
- What Does the CertiPUR-US Label on this Type of Mattress Mean?
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Memory Foam Mattresses?
- Who Can Benefit from Using a Memory Foam Mattress?
- Terms You Need to Know When You Are Shopping for a Memory Foam Mattress
- Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Memory Foam Mattresses
- Memory Foam Mattress Comparison
- Recommended 5 Best Rated Memory Foam Mattress
If you overspend on a mattress you don’t end up using, it can be really bad when you have to return it or send it back, because it’s so cumbersome and laborious.
Before diving into the information concerning choosing a great memory foam mattress, you should know a little bit about the history of this type of mattress. This information will help you when you are working to learn more about this type of mattress so that you can purchase one of your own.
A NASA project is responsible for the birth of the memory foam mattress. The medical industry learned about this mattress material and thought that it may be beneficial in preventing bed sores in their bedridden patients.
This type of mattress is unique in that it was able to spread out the pressure of someone’s body weight so that no specific point was getting more pressure than the others. It also responded well to temperature to prevent sweating that can make the skin moist and further compromise its integrity.
When the first memory foam was created, it had a tendency to crack or compress over time, making it a not very durable mattress option. Tempur-Pedic was the first company to take the memory foam mattress concept and work on it to make it a much more durable mattress option. Patients started buying the mattresses and reporting that they would wake up more refreshed and with less back pain than before.
You can also read : What is The Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain and Find Relief
When this type of mattress first hit the market, it was very expensive and certain options are still costly. However, with new manufacturers in the game, this has brought costs down so that more people can purchase this type of mattress for their bed at home. This has also resulted in different types of memory foam and other mattress components, giving consumers far more choices.
With all of the options available today, consumers will find it easier to find a memory foam mattress that is comfortable and able to meet their needs. The key is to take your time and do your research so that when you make a decision, you can be confident that the mattress will be comfortable and that it will last for a long time.
Memory Foam Mattress Density
Density is one of the most important things that you need to explore when you are looking at buying this type of mattress. You want a mattress with about four pounds of density to get a durable mattress that perfectly marries both firmness and softness.
Since each manufacturer measures density a bit differently, you can use the range of three to six pounds to get a comfortable and high-quality mattress.
When you are using density as a measure of firmness or softness, remember that a higher number, so in this case, five or six, will be more firm. If you want a softer mattress, choose a density of three to four.
You also want to consider your sleep position when you are looking for the right density. If you sleep on your side, you want a softer density, so three or four pounds. If you sleep on your stomach or your back, you want a firmer density, so five or six pounds.
Three Additional Quality Markers to Explore
In addition to the density of the mattress, there are three other things you want to look at to ensure that you choose a high-quality mattress. These qualities include:
- Indentation load deflection: This looks at the various layers and how they play into the comfort of the mattress. You want to find a mattress with an indentation load deflection that ranges from 10 to 16. Most memory foam mattresses on the market fall within this range.
- Location of the manufacturer: It is best to stick to mattresses that are made in Canada or the United States. This is because the materials are regulated and more likely to be safer.
- mmHg: This looks at how a mattress reacts against pressure. You want a mattress that works to relieve pressure and this occurs at 32 mmHg or lower. When there is less pressure, you will not have as many pressure points. This means that you can get more comfortable and sleep easier.
You can also read : Quick and Simple Ways for How to Sleep Longer
Make sure that when you are shopping for your mattress that you look at the ideal density range, as well as these three factors. When you choose a mattress that meets all of these points, you can be confident that it is high in quality, durable and that it will provide optimal comfort.
Look at the Thickness of the Mattress
The thickness of a memory foam mattress will help to determine how comfortable the mattress is and the level of support that you get from the mattress. The average thickness is three to four inches because this type of mattress is already very supportive.
However, if you have a mattress of this type with a lower density, it is a good idea to increase the thickness so that you have adequate support. Support is important because it keeps your body in alignment and helps to prevent you from waking up with problems like back pain or muscle soreness.
Types of Foam Used in Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses have become popular in recent years, but many people are unaware that there are different types of foam to choose from. It is important to pay attention to this because the different types of foam have different benefits.
Consider your sleeping style, your sleep needs and your sleep habits to choose a material that works best for you to keep you comfortable throughout the night.
There are three primary types of foam to choose from, including:
- Traditional: This type uses the NASA-developed viscoelastic material. This is the most popular type of memory foam mattress and most mattresses of this type are made of traditional memory foam. This type comes in several density options, but it can hold body heat making your bed warmer than you may prefer.
- Latex: This is another option that you can look into and it is ideal if you want a memory foam mattress that is made out of more natural materials. This is an eco-friendly option and it is least likely to cause problems with allergies. However, some people are allergic to latex and will not be able to use this mattress type if they have this allergy.
- Gel: This is a newer type of memory foam mattress material that was created to help keep people cool when they sleep. Unlike traditional memory foam mattresses, the gel material allows for better airflow so that heat is unable to accumulate. The level of comfort and support are comparable to a traditional memory foam mattress.
While the traditional type is the most popular and most widely available, many people are now turning to the gel type of mattress because it has an added benefit. This is because the gel type and traditional type offer the same level of support and comfort, but the gel type also helps to keep your body cool as you sleep.
You can also read : 5 Great Memory Foam Mattress Benefits
This prevents sweating so that you are comfortable and to prevent sweat from absorbing into your mattress. If a memory foam mattress absorbs enough sweat, it can start to smell and you may not be able to remove the smell.
Learning More About Memory Foam Mattress Sizes
Use this chart to learn more about the sizes that memory foam mattresses come in. This will help you to choose the right size so that it fits into your bedroom and provides ample space for you to get comfortable when you are sleeping.
|Mattress Size||Size in Inches||Mattress Description|
|Twin Mattress||Measures 39 inches by 75 inches||This type of mattress is the smallest and usually meant for children or dorm furniture.|
|Twin XL Mattress||Measures 39 inches by 80 inches||This mattress is the same width of a traditional twin, but a few inches longer.|
|Full Mattress||Measures 54 inches by 75 inches||This mattress is wider than a twin mattress, but it has the same length.|
|Full XL Mattress||Measures 54 inches by 80 inches||This mattress is longer than a twin XL mattress, but has the same width.|
|Queen Mattress||Measures 60 inches by 80 inches||This mattress is the traditional mattress size for a couple sharing a bed.|
|King Mattress||Measures 76 inches by 80 inches||While this mattress has the same length of a queen mattress, it is considerably wider, offering more sleeping space.|
|California King Mattress||Measures 72 inches by 84 inches||This is the longest mattress option available, but it is four inches less wide than a king mattress.|
Exploring the Bedding Options for this Type of Mattress
When you are looking at memory foam mattresses, you are likely looking at revamping your entire bed for optimal comfort. You will likely keep your bed frame, but replace the other components.
In this case, you want to look at the mattress itself, a mattress topper if you plan to keep your current mattress and your pillows whether you are switching mattresses or not.
Your pillows play a big role in your overall comfort too so you likely need to get new ones when you switch over to memory foam to ensure that all of your bedding is cohesive.
The mattress will be the biggest purchase and the purchase that you spend the most time debating. This guide offers you all of the information that you need to make the right choice, but listing the most important factors right here will make it easy to refer back to.
When you are looking at getting a new memory foam mattress, you want to first consider the density so that you get the right level of firmness or softness. Next, you want to make sure that the thickness is right so that you have adequate support.
The last thing you want to look at when you are choosing this type of mattress is the type. To choose the right type, consider how much support you need, whether you have bad allergies and whether you tend to sleep hot or cold. These three factors are really all you need to determine the right type for you.
If you plan on keeping your current mattress, but you still want the benefits of memory foam, a memory foam topper is going to be your best option. These offer things like support and proper body alignment just like the full mattress, but for a fraction of the cost. If you are on a tight budget, but you need a memory foam mattress to get better sleep, a topper is ideal for you.
Lastly, you need to choose a pillow that will support your neck and upper body so that your whole body is in the proper alignment as you sleep at night.
You want a pillow that contours to your body and there are memory foam pillows that you can choose from. Just like the mattresses, this type of pillow offers adequate support so that you can sleep in the right posture to wake up refreshed and pain-free.
- DynastyMattress Therapeutic Cool AirFlow
- Sleep Master 6-Inch Therapeutic
- Sleep Innovations 12-Inch SureTemp
- LUCID 10 inch Memory Foam Mattress
- Signature Sleep 12-Inch
Looking at Memory Foam Mattress Toppers
If you already have a mattress that you like, but also want to try a memory foam mattress, a memory foam mattress topper is the perfect compromise. Start by learning about the benefits of a memory foam mattress topper, which include:
- Comfort: You can take any mattress and make it more comfortable by adding this type of topper to it. Just make sure that you choose a topper that fits your mattress size so that everything is fully covered.
- Protection: While comfort is usually the primary motivation for this type of topper, it also works to protect your primary mattress. You will be able to protect your mattress from things like staining and other issues.
- Couple’s comfort: When you use this type of topper, you will not feel as much movement when your partner moves at night. Memory foam absorbs movement, so if your partner tends to adjust a lot during the night, you will not have to worry about them waking or disturbing you.
- Big savings: A memory foam topper is far less expensive than a whole memory foam mattress. You get the chance to try out this type of mattress without all of the investment or commitment.
- Aches and pains: People who wake up with pain often report that adding a memory foam topper to their mattress helps to alleviate it. You can choose the level of firmness to ensure that you are comfortable and pain-free throughout the night and upon waking. Also read what is the best mattress topper for back pain relief.
This information is generally enough to determine if you will benefit from a memory foam topper. Since you can quickly put one on and take one off, you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.
Most people report that they notice a positive different in their sleep after just one or two nights of sleeping on this type of mattress topper.
Just like a memory foam mattress, there are multiple options when it comes to a topper. You want to choose the right density so that you get the level of firmness or softness that you need to sleep comfortably.
You also want to pay attention to the thickness since this also plays a role in your overall comfort.
Lastly, choose a material that you will find easy to clean since in addition to promoting comfort, your topper will also work to protect your mattress from things like liquid spills.
What Does the CertiPUR-US Label on this Type of Mattress Mean?
If you want to avoid exposure to certain potentially dangerous chemicals in your home, you want to look for a memory foam mattress that carries the CertiPUR-US label. When mattresses have this label, you can also be confident that they have been rigorously tested and that they meet a very strict set of criteria. This means that the mattress is of the highest quality. Mattresses with this label are also:
- Made without any known ozone depleters
- The mattress does not contain any PBDE flame retardants
- The mattress has low volatile organic compound emissions to ensure optimal air quality in your home
- The mattress is made without any formaldehyde
- The mattress does not contain any phthalates
- The mattress is made without any lead, mercury or other types of heavy metals
What Are the Pros and Cons of Memory Foam Mattresses?
You want to explore the good and bad of this type of mattress to make sure that it is the best choice for you. Since sleep is so critical for overall health, you need a mattress that only promotes it.
Memory foam mattresses are good for the majority of people, but you still want to look at them without any bias so that you can make the best decision. To do this, you need to understand all of the pros and cons that are associated with this mattress type.
The pros of memory foam include:
- This type of mattress conforms to the sleeper’s shape to help reduce spinal stress
- Many people notice a reduction in neck and back pain with long-term use of this mattress type
- Body weight is evenly distributed on this type of mattress
- This mattress works to realign the spine, keep the joints in proper alignment and reduce problems with pressure points
- It may help to correct breathing when someone is sleeping
- Two people can sleep in the same bed without interruptions since this mattress type absorbs movement
- Many memory foam mattress types are hypo-allergenic so they do not hold on to dust mites and other allergens, making them ideal for people who have allergies
- There is a large selection of this type of mattress on the market, making it easy to find one to fit your needs
The cons of memory foam include:
- This type of mattress tends to cost more than other mattress types
- The temperature has an impact on firmness, with the mattress being firmer in the cold and softer in the heat
- Certain types of memory foam absorb heat and may be too warm at night
- Some memory foam mattresses have a life of five to eight years
Who Can Benefit from Using a Memory Foam Mattress?
One of the first industries to take notice of memory foam was the healthcare industry and this is because this type of mattress does come with a number of potential health benefits.
Consider the following if you are trying to determine if this type of mattress is ideal for you:
- You have muscle or joint pain that is worse when you wake up in the morning
- You have pressure points on your body that your current mattress is making worse
- You have poor posture when you sleep at night
- You have breathing problems, such as sleep apnea
- You have allergies
Terms You Need to Know When You Are Shopping for a Memory Foam Mattress
There are a few terms you want to familiarize yourself with before you head out to shop for your memory foam mattress. Knowing these terms will help you to quickly assess the mattresses that you are considering purchasing. These terms include:
- Density: This refers to how durable the mattress will be. To determine the overall density of a mattress, you have to weigh a 12-inch cube of it. In general, the densities of this type of mattress range from 2.5 to 4 pounds per foot cubed. Most chiropractors and doctors recommend that you choose a mattress with an average density of 4 pounds.
- Edge support system: This looks at making the edges of the mattress more supportive by using a stiffer polyurethane foam.
- Impression load deflection: This looks at the firmness of the mattress. 20 is the firmest and 8 is the softest.
- Natural latex: This means that the latex component of the mattress uses the Talalay or Dunlop manufacturing process to process the latex which comes from Hevea brasiliensis tree sap.
- Resilience: This term refers to the mattresses ability to rebound. When exposed to pressure, the higher the resilience rating means that the rebound potential is better. You want higher ratings because this translates into a more durable foam used in the mattress.
- Synthetic latex: This type of latex comes from petrochemicals and it is made in a laboratory.
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Memory Foam Mattresses
When you head out to buy a mattress, you want to be armed with as much information as possible. These following frequently asked questions will help you to determine if this type of mattress is the best option for you. It will also offer practical information about memory foam mattresses that you may have a hard time finding elsewhere.
- What is a Good Mattress?
A good mattress is one that promotes good posture and allows you to sleep comfortably. This means that everyone is different in what will be the best mattress for them.
- What Do You Look for in a Good Mattress?
You want a mattress that is durable, comfortable and able to promote proper sleeping posture. You want to wake up in the morning feeling refreshed and free from pain in your back or joints.
- Are Memory Foam Mattresses Comfortable?
This ultimately depends on someone’s personal preferences. However, since they tend to be a combination of soft and firm, most people will find them to be comfortable.
- Which Type of Mattress is Better?
This will depend on the person and what they need in a mattress. It is important to research and test a number of mattresses to determine which type of mattress will be best for you.
- What is a Tempur-Pedic Mattress?
This is a mattress brand. They carry a variety of mattress types, including memory foam mattresses and spring mattresses.
- What are the Differences Among Mattresses?
The primary difference is in the structure of the mattress. Some mattresses are comprised of springs and others are comprised of various types of foam. Things like mattress size and materials also create differences among the various mattresses on the market today.
- What is Mattress Size?
Mattresses come in wide variety of sizes. To choose the right size, consider how much space you need to sleep comfortably and the size of your bedroom. It is important to measure your bedroom first so that you can be sure that the mattress will fit in your room with ease.
- What Are the Top Mattress Brands?
This ultimately depends on who you ask, but some of the most popular mattress brands on the market include:
- Spring Air
- Ashley Sleep
- Stearns and Foster
- Nature’s Sleep
- Which Memory Foam Mattress Brand is the Best?
This depends on what you need out of a mattress and which mattress you happen to find most comfortable. Each brand offers a unique type of mattress. Research a test a variety of them to find the best one for you. If you want a brand that was a pioneer in the memory foam mattress industry, then your best option will be Tempur-Pedic.
- Memory Foam vs. Latex Mattresses: Which is Better?
Both types of mattresses are very similar and the primary difference is the overall feel of the mattress. A memory foam mattress almost makes you feel like you are floating where a spring mattress tends to have a more springy and solid feel to it. Read more details here.
- Memory Foam vs. Spring Mattresses: Which is Better?
This depends on a person’s needs from a mattress. A spring mattress is best for those who are overweight because it offers better support for their body and posture. Memory foam mattresses are best for those with muscle pain or difficulty getting comfortable on a spring mattress. Read more details here.
- Are Memory Foam Mattresses Toxic?
If you choose the wrong brand, this type of mattress can contain a number of potentially hazardous chemicals. To ensure that you are sleeping on a toxin-free mattress, choose one that has the CertiPUR-US label. When mattresses have this label, you can also be confident that they have been rigorously tested and that they meet a very strict set of criteria. This means that the mattress is of the highest quality.
- Are There Toxic Chemicals in Memory Foam Mattresses?
If you choose a mattress that does not contain the CertiPUR-US label, your mattress may contain a number of toxic chemicals. These can include:
- Ozone depleters
- PBDE flame retardants
- Volatile organic compound emissions that reduce a home’s air quality
- Lead, mercury or other types of heavy metals
- What is an Eco-Friendly Mattress?
An eco-friendly mattress only uses materials that are not harsh on the environment. This also usually extends to the manufacturing process where the company relies on processes that are not harmful to the environment.
- Can a Cheap Mattress be Trouble for Your Health?
The truth is that any mattress, regardless of cost, can be problematic if it is made with toxic chemicals and materials. Instead of looking at the price as a measure of safety, look at the mattress tag to see the materials that it is made out of.
To be sure that you are getting a safe mattress, make sure that it has the Certi-PUR label because this guarantees that it is free from chemicals that are known to be hazardous to your health.
- Is a Soft or Hard Mattress Good for an Elderly Person’s Health?
This will depend on the health of the elderly person. If someone has muscle, bone or joint problems, it is best for them to sleep in a mattress that is more firm since this is better able to support proper posture.
In most cases, choosing a moderate mattress that is not too soft and not too firm will be the best option for the majority of people. A chiropractor or doctor can recommend the right level of firmness or softness for a person’s overall health.
- Are There Health Risks with Memory Foam Mattresses?
There are some memory foam mattress models that can contain up to 61 different potentially dangerous chemicals. Make sure that you choose a mattress that has the CertiPUR-US label to ensure optimal safety. You also need to choose the right level of firmness to prevent issues like back pain and joint pain.
You can also check this infographic of 7 Surprising Causes of Back Pain
- Which Mattress is Best for Someone with Severe Back Pain?
Those with significant back pain want a mattress that is firm. The type of mattress is irrelevant because it is ultimately the firmness that matters. A chiropractor or doctor can help someone to choose the best mattress based on the severity of their pain and the underlying cause. The goal is to ensure proper posture when sleeping to reduce the amount of pain someone has throughout the night and when they wake up in the morning.
- How is a Memory Foam Mattress Useful in Reducing Back Pain?
It is important to note that in order for a memory foam mattress to be good for back pain, someone must choose a mattress of this type that is firm. As long as the mattress is firm, it helps to support the natural alignment and curvature of the spine.
This prevents an odd placement of the vertebrae and the spinal muscles when someone is sleeping. When everything is in the proper alignment, nothing is stress and a lack of stress results in a reduction in pain and discomfort.
- What is the Best Method for Cleaning a Mattress?
This depends on the type of mattress someone has, as well as the brand. Check the booklet that comes with your mattress to get full cleaning instructions to ensure that you can get your mattress clean without causing any damage. Using a mattress cover is also ideal because this will protect the mattress from liquid stains and other things that can make it dirty.
Read here details How To Clean Memory Foam Mattress.
- How Do I Clean a Twin Mattress?
You need to consult the booklet that came with the mattress to ensure that you only use approved cleaning methods. Using cleaning methods not approved for the mattress can result in damage.
- How do I Get a Stain Off of a Bed Mattress?
The best option is to consult the booklet that comes with your mattress. What you can use for stain removal will depend on the materials that your mattress is made out of. It is important to only use approved cleaning products or else you risk damaging your mattress. For example, you can safely use bleach on certain types of mattresses, but bleach will break down the materials of certain other mattress types.
- How Do I Clean Mold Out of a Mattress?
If mold has set into a mattress, there is no way to know if you have cleaned it all out. Since you cannot access the deeper layers of the mattresses without causing significant damage, if you have a mold problem in your mattress, you should throw it away and purchase a new one. It is important to replace a moldy mattress right away since mold can be hazardous to your health.
- How Do I Clean Milk from a Foam Mattress?
Immediately after you spill the milk, use a clean and dry microfiber or cotton cloth to soak up the milk. After you have soaked up as much of the milk as possible, use a gentle cleaner to remove any leftover traces of the milk. Dry the cleaned area thoroughly to prevent moisture-related problems from occurring.
- What’s An Affordable Memory Foam Mattress?
Memory foam mattresses range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. You will need to determine your budget and your mattress needs to see what affordable means to you when it comes to purchasing a memory foam mattress.
- Where Can I Order a Cheap Mattress Online?
There are thousands of retailers online that offer cheap mattresses. Look for the following online retailer characteristics to ensure that you are getting an affordable, but high-quality, mattress from a reputable retailer:
- The retailer should have a good reputation with the Better Business Bureau
- The retailer should offer a mixture of the top mattress brands
- The retailer should offer customer service that is easy to reach
- The retailer should have a detailed return policy
- The retailer should be clear and upfront about all costs related to buying a new mattress and having it shipped to your home
You now have all of the information that you need to make an informed decision and choose a memory foam mattress that will meet all of your wants and needs.
Use this guide to help you when you are researching the different mattresses available so that you do not forget to hit all of the points presented here.
This comprehensive guide goes over all of the important points and the frequently asked questions sections will help you to get quick answers when you need them during your search.
You can get further guidance by talking to your chiropractor or doctor. This is especially important if you have back pain or other muscle or joint problems. You want to make sure that you choose the right level of firmness so that your bed truly helps your body to recuperate and recharge as you sleep so that you wake up free from pain and fully awake and energized.